Granada is the oldest “Colonial” city in Nicaragua; a colonial and neoclassical architecture founded in 1524 by Francisco Hernández de Córdoba.
Urbanistically, it is the product of an architectural conception imposed by the Spaniards on the indigenous that is characterized especially by the diversity of names of its streets. Among the most famous are: Calle la Calzada, Calle Real Jalteva and Calle La atravesada, which are tourist attractions of the beautiful city.
The Diocese of Granada includes the districts of Granada, Rivas and Boaca.
The district of Granada spans an area of 1,039.68km2 and has a population of approximately 168,186 inhabitants. Granada (district head and headquarters of the Diocese) includes the municipalities of Diriá, Diriomo and Nandaime.
His Most Reverend Excellency Mons. Jorge Solórzano Pérez
He was ordained a priest on March 29, 1985 by His Eminence Cardinal Miguel Obando y Bravo. Pope Benedict XVI appointed him bishop of the Diocese of Granada and he was installed on April 11, 2010.
Cordoba and USD
Constituted Diocese on
December 2, 1913